- User Services
- Group Services
- Scientific Computing
- Copy Services
JLab Windows Systems
Supported Windows Desktop Operating Systems (Last Updated: 08/16/2015)
|Windows Version||Required SP||MS End of Extended Support||Notes|
|Windows 10 Enterprise||N/A||?||Support Expected Q3 2016 -- Adoption Evaluation underway. Optionally available for upgrades or rebuilds if participating in the JLab Windows 10 Pilot Program3|
|Windows 10 Professional4||N/A||?||Support For Purchase -- May be ordered and rebuilt upon receipt using Windows 7 or 8.1 Enterprise, or Windows 10 Enterprise if participating in the JLab Windows Pilot Evaluation Program3|
|Windows 8.1 Enterprise||N/A||1/10/2023||Supported -- optionally available for upgrades and rebuilds|
|Windows 8.1 Professional4||N/A||1/10/2023||Supported -- may be ordered on new systems, rebuilt using Windows 8.1 Enterprise upon receipt, no upgrades or rebuilds|
|Windows 8.0 Pro/Enterprise||N/A||11/13/2015||Not Supported -- must rebuild or upgrade to Windows 8.1 Enterprise 2|
|Windows 7 Enterprise||1||1/14/2020||Supported, Preferred -- current default for all upgrades and rebuilds|
|Windows 7 Ultimate||1||1/14/2020||Supported -- not recommended for order on new systems, no upgrades or rebuilds4|
|Windows 7 Professional||1||1/14/2020||Supported -- recommended for new orders, no upgrades or rebuilds4|
|Windows Vista Ultimate||2||4/11/2017||Supported -- no new orders, no upgrades or rebuilds4|
|Windows Vista Enterprise||2||4/11/2017||Supported -- no new orders, no upgrades or rebuilds4|
|Windows XP Professional||3||4/8/2014||Prohibited -- blocked from network|
|Windows 2000 Professional||4||6/30/2005||Prohibited -- blocked from network|
|Windows NT4.0||N/A||6/30/2004||Prohibited -- blocked from network|
|Windows Windows 3.x, 9x, ME||N/A||N/A||Prohibited -- blocked from network|
|ALL WINDOWS STARTER OR HOME EDITIONS||ALL||ALL||Prohibited -- may not be used at JLab|
1 Special Exceptions: To obtain an exception to order, run or rebuild unsupported systems listed above, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. with a description of why the specific system is required.
2 Microsoft is ending support for Windows 8.0 24 months after 8.1 became available. The terminology has changed... 8.1 is basically Windows 8/SP1.
3 For information regarding official Windows pilot programs to assist in adoption testing, contact the JLab Computer Center Helpdesk (x7155, email@example.com)
4 "No upgrades or rebuilds" -- Systems may not be upgraded, nor rebuilt using the indicated versions. All such work is done using the Enterprise Edition of the desired Windows Version.
Important Points to Consider Before Ordering or Rebuilding
- All systems that are JLab property, or will be on site for more than 6 months must reside on the production JLab network -- NOT the guest network.
- The current preferred ("Production") version of the Windows operating system (OS) is Windows 7 Enterprise, 32-bit/64-bit.
- All newly procured Windows PCs must come pre-installed with Windows 7/8/10 Professional or Ultimate, 32-bit/64-bit.
- For any non-CUE software, please determine through the software vendor if the software will work on the specific OS being considered.
- New systems must not be purchased with any Windows "Starter" or "Home" editions since they cannot be upgraded to any compatible version.
- ALL Windows systems on the Jefferson Lab network must be members of a JLab Windows domain
If you need information on the basic purchase and installation of new PC's at JLAB please see the JLab PC Purchasing documentation.
Printing in Windows
For information on printing from a JLab-CUE Windows machine, please visit the Windows Printing page.