- User Services
- Group Services
- Scientific Computing
- Copy Services
Recommendation for Home Computers
Submitted by firstname.lastname@example.org on Wed, 10/15/2014 - 09:47
Many people are looking for recommendations for their home computers, either for virus protection or software to use. Below we have provided some of our recommendations for home computers/devices.
Supported Windows OS from Microsoft
- Windows Vista
- Windows 7
- Windows 8.1 and above
Non-Supported Windows OS from Microsoft
- Windows XP or earlier - these operating systems (OSs) are retired and should be upgraded or replaced as soon as possible. Microsoft does not patch them anymore.
Antivirus Software for Windows
Windows Vista or 7
Microsoft Security Essentials - This is FREE and helps guard against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. It also provides real-time protection for your home or small business PCs, supports Windows 7, and Vista. Download here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-download
Windows Defender - This is a built-in application called which includes Microsoft Security Essentials.
As an employee of Jefferson Lab, if you are a licensed user of Microsoft Office, you are entitled to receive a copy of MS Office to use at home for less than $10. However, this has the following restrictions.
- Must not be given to anyone else.
- Can only be installed on one system.
- If you leave the lab or JLab ends our Enterprise Agreement with Microsoft, this copy ends.
- Only eligible if you have Office on your JLab system at work
For more information, see https://cc.jlab.org/windows/hup .
All supported Windows OS has a built-in Firewall. You can turn it on from Control Panel. We recommends turning it on. By default, once it is on, it will stop communication with other systems.